Alien Versus Predator 2000 classic from Steam

Talk about everything.
nikiiv

Alien Versus Predator 2000 classic from Steam

Postby nikiiv » Sun Jan 08, 2012 22:07

Hi guys
This game is on sale on Steam for 2.99 and it works without hassle even ot latest Ubuntu 11.10.
I finally managed to sort out all problems with Mojosetup and x64 platform
I modified the existing installer so it can work with Steam's version
I can easily post the installer somewhere but.. I am on a x64 platform so the build gui library probably will not work correctly with i386 linux.
The game runs and I can run the Marine campaign..
In order to make it work I had to
export MOJOSETUP_MEDIA0='/opt/niki/steam_games/Aliens versus Predator Classic/'. Of course tune this path to suit match your installation.
This is the confug.lua file that needs to be replaced and installer repacked

Code: Select all

Setup.Package
{
    vendor = "liflg.org",
    id = "avp",               -- unique identifier, will be proposed as installdirectory SAMPLE: "fakk2"
    description = "Aliens versus Predator",      -- full name of the game, will be used during setup SAMPLE: "Heavy Metal: FAKK2"
    version = "1.0-multilanguage_x86",          -- version of the game SAMPLE: "1.02-english"
    splash = "splash.png", -- name of the splash file which has to be placed inside the meta directory
    splashpos = "left",
    superuser = false,
    write_manifest = true, -- needs to be true if an uninstall-option should be provided
                           -- NOTE: atm installing serveral thousands files will slow down the installation process

support_uninstall = true,
    recommended_destinations =
    {
        "/usr/local/games",
   "/opt/",
   MojoSetup.info.homedir,
    },

Setup.Readme
    {
        description = "README",
        source = "README.liflg"
    },

Setup.Media
    {
        id = "avp-cd",          -- unique identifier for the cd/dvd-rom SAMPLE: "fakk2-cd"
        description = "Aliens versus Predator CDROM", -- this string will be shown to the end-user SAMPLE: "FAKK2-Loki CDROM"
        uniquefile = "AvP_Classic.exe"   -- unique file to decide if a disc is the right one SAMPLE: "fakk/pak0.pk3"
    },

Setup.DesktopMenuItem
    {
        disabled = false,
        name = "Aliens versus Predator 2000 classic",           -- name of the menu-entry. SAMPLE: "Heavy Metal: FAKK2"
        genericname = "Ego-Shooter",    -- generic name. SAMPLE: "Ego-Shooter"
        tooltip = "play Aliens versus Predator",        -- tooltip SAMPLE "play Heavy Metal: FAKK2"
        builtin_icon = false,
        icon = "avp.xpm",   -- path to icon file, realtive to the base-dir of the installation
        commandline = "%0/avp",    -- gamebinary or startscript, "%0/" stands for the base directory of the installation SAMPLE: "%0/fakk2.sh"
        category = "Game",
    },

Setup.Option
    {   
       value = true,
   required = true,   -- user will not be asked about this option, will be installed always
       disabled = false,
       bytes = 123834571, -- size of the files, used only(?) for progressbar, Mojosetup does not check available space
       description = "Install gamedata",
       tooltip = "Needs the Aliens versus Predator CDROM",

Setup.File
   {
          wildcards = { "avp.xpm", "language.txt", "net.log", "avp", "avp.bin", "README.liflg", },
           filter = function(dest)
               if dest == "avp" or dest == "avp.bin" then
                   return dest, "0755"   -- make sure it's executable.
                   end
                   return dest   -- everything else just goes through as-is.
           end
       },     

Setup.File
       {
      source = "media://avp-cd/fastfile",
      destination = "fastfile",
          wildcards = { "*.FFL", "*.ffl", "ffinfo.txt", },
      filter = function(dest)
         return string.lower(dest)
           end
       },

Setup.File
       {
      source = "media://avp-cd/avp_rifs",
      destination = "avp_rifs",
          wildcards = { "*.RIF", "*.rif", },
      filter = function(dest)
           end
       },

Setup.File
       {
      source = "media://avp-cd/avp_huds",
      destination = "avp_huds",
          wildcards = { "*.RIF", "*.rif", },
      filter = function(dest)
           end
       },
    },
}

BTW there are two files in avp_huds with space in their names.. please confirm that the orginal CD layout has those two files as well

This installer will work also with Gold edition, however uniquefile = "AvP_Classic.exe" should be changed to uniquefile = "avp.exe".
I am really tempted to change it to uniquefile = "binkw32.dll" and let it be..
Some one need to pick the config.lua and package it with 32 bit mojosetup

kratz00
liflg member

Re: Alien Versus Predator 2000 classic from Steam

Postby kratz00 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29

Hi nikiiv,

first of all, here is a little how-to and a link to all resources you need to create installers for both architectures:

http://kratz00.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id ... :mojosetup

Second of all, what files with spaces in their name are you you talking of?

Third of all, the AVP Gold version is somehow special, please read: https://github.com/mbait/avpmp/blob/66f ... c8d/README

And the last point, a unique file should be unique :D binkw32.dll is part of every game which uses Bink but AvP_Classic.exe
is just used for AVP. I hope you get the point :)

Regards
-Steffen

nikiiv

Postby nikiiv » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:18

Hello Steffan

I think you are missing a point. Since I've build my mojosetup on 64 bit platform the installer will not run on 32 bit platform. The WIKI how-to page talks about differnet executables for the game itself, not for the installer.
The files with spaces in the name are
pred ship fury.RIF
pred ship ob.rif
They are both in avp_huds folder. From a forum posto about the golden cd layout I saw that those files a present there, so this might not be a problem.

I don't have the GOLD version of the game, also the link mentioned there for the enligsh text has expired. So I don't think I can build an installer for the GOLD version. I said that I believe that it will work... but that's everything. If I can find a version off ebay I will try it.

During the weekend I will install a 32 bit virtual machine and build the installer there and I will submit it if it passes liflg quality criterias. But this will be an installer for the Steam version of the game..
I want to try GoG Kingpin next..

Regards
Niki

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14

Hi Niki,

I am not missing the point :wink:
If you would have taken a closer look, you would have seen that our dummy installer contains binaries for both architectures.
As the existing installer only contains a 32bit game executable, a installer for 32bit system is sufficient.

I have just checked the regular AVP version and it also contains those tow files with the spaces.

I own the Gold version and I can assure you, if it would be that easy we would have created an installer for this a long time ago.

Regards
-Steffen