New user - some info please

Talk about everything.
Noodles

New user - some info please

Post by Noodles » Mon Feb 21, 2005 19:23

Hello all.

Been running a fresh install of 10,1 mandrake official DvD powerpack .

I have only tried 2 games so far off my own back with linux - AA 2.3 firefight and ut2004 demo, BOTH work flawlessly which i was so suprised as last time i used linux ( a while now ) i never could get anything to work..

Anyway onto my questsion: -

1. Bit confused about the download setup.. I dont really know if its what i want?

2. I downloade and installed point2point and then noticed u have to buy a login account etc to download the latest cedegar for it to be of use..
But i can get cedegar without using the point2point thingy.. is this needed with loki ?

3. i came acroos this site for loki and need to know if it is the same idea as in those other 2 i just mentioned in question 2.

4. At the end of the day is loki a stand alone windows game installer and allowing you to run them. Or do i need the cedegar to go with it to allow for its use?

Gee i think ive just confused myself here lol : - anyway what would i need basically ?

Thanks in advance for dealing with a fairly new llnux user..

James..

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 21, 2005 23:29

5 views and not one of you can tell me more about how it works or what i need to be downloading ?

DepthCore

Re: New user - some info please

Post by DepthCore » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:33

Howdy, I might aswell answer these questions for you, since i magically re-appeared after some time from work !

Noodles wrote:1. Bit confused about the download setup.. I dont really know if its what i want?

Ok, What the installers are for is for most Windows games that have external installation programs such as InstallShield and MsiExec. Loki Installers are a simple way to install windows games so the user can use Wine or Cedega and point to the game easier.

Noodles wrote:2. I downloade and installed point2point and then noticed u have to buy a login account etc to download the latest cedegar for it to be of use..
But i can get cedegar without using the point2point thingy.. is this needed with loki ?

No you cannot get cedega without paying for an account. Plus if you can, its worthless for the Cedega team because all the money is helping them develop the program !

Noodles wrote:3. i came acroos this site for loki and need to know if it is the same idea as in those other 2 i just mentioned in question 2.

It is kind of the same idea, but the point2play system uses the games install program to install it, if it can that is.

Noodles wrote:4. At the end of the day is loki a stand alone windows game installer and allowing you to run them. Or do i need the cedegar to go with it to allow for its use?

Loki installers only install the game, you need Cedega or Wine to play the game.

Hope that helps you out Noodles :D

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 13:47

ah thanksf or your time..

I guess then i look to see if there is a game installer for one of the windows original cd's games i got and use that to mnt and install that cd? then switch to cedegar to execute that game to get it to run in linux ?

DepthCore

Post by DepthCore » Wed Feb 23, 2005 0:17

Yep sounds good to me skip !

Enjoy !

8)