SAVAGE FREE Version

Talk about everything.
orychalk

SAVAGE FREE Version

Post by orychalk » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:08

Hello,

The "SAVAGE: The Battle for Newerth" game has been updated and is now FREE !!!

http://www.s2games.com/savage/index.php?page=savageindex

Is it envisaged to make an update of the loki installer ?

Thanks ....

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 17:19

it's only the windows version

orychalk

Post by orychalk » Sun Sep 03, 2006 18:06

Finaly i found how to install the last "free" version under Linux :

http://www.evolvedclan.com/forums/index.php/topic,259.0.html

It's work great :D

Thanks

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 19:06

but is it legal? that's the question

orychalk

Post by orychalk » Mon Sep 04, 2006 0:26

i found this link on the official savage forum. i think the savage modo forum can erase this link/post if it was not legal ...
And why the windows version should be free and the linux version not ?

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:27

no idea but there is no offical statement regarding the linux client!

thor27

Post by thor27 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 19:40

I don't know if this is a "Official Statement" but at the end of the Official Website there is a link for that forum post, regarding how to install over linux:

http://www.s2games.com/savage/downloads.php

[]

orychalk

Post by orychalk » Sun Sep 10, 2006 19:42

Great :D

Brian

Post by Brian » Sun Sep 10, 2006 22:51

Savage 1 is officially free (see here). The install process includes installing a .run file from the official Savage site, installing an update from LIFLG, then installing the SEP from LIFLG. If you install as root, things will blow chunks - so be forewarned.
It'd be great if we had a single installer to get us up to speed. Maybe include some kind of work-around for global installs? Just a thought, but yes - Savage is free.

thor27

Post by thor27 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:33

I did an installer for savage, with full game + 2.00c patch + SEP 3T + PDF Manuals + some small scripts to help this work smothly :)

I just don't have any place to put the installer... anyone with an ftp or ssh or whatever I could send this, would be nice :D

my email is

thommy (and here comes the stuff to avoid spammers) globo DOT com

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:38

@thor27

what are the scripts doing in detail?

thor27

Post by thor27 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 16:42

I'm in the universty now, so I don't have the scripts.

But as I rember I did that:
1- Changed "savage" "dedicated_server" "graveyard" script: Instead of detecting during installation process the folder so changing the script with a hardcoded "cd /the/folder" I used the same script that has in other installers, that detects the folder where the script is, and cd to it.

2-In the "dedicated_server" script, I used the same code that is used in the "self extractor" that open a terminal when the script is running with no terminal.

3-Added a manual.sh script, that uses a modified version of the script above (about selecting the avaiable terminal) so it selects an avaiable pdf reader and open the pdf with it. The list I used, as I rember, was something like that: acroread, xpdf, gpdf, kpdf, kghostview and evince.
And if all fails, it open a terminal if not avaiable (using the same code as in 2) and prints a message saying that no known pdf viewer was avaible, so open the file manually etc etc...

I didn't used anything from the original installer, since it was a mess (As I understood, was a script to install from the CD that was linux / windows, so the linux installer was full of windows related files, such as executables and dlls)

I think that is all...

:)

thor27

Post by thor27 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 17:25

Oh.. I've also removed the original editor, since it was not working...

And the graveyard looks like an editor to me :wink:

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 14:19

so this is a full installer, you won't need the cd, right?

i think it's not a good idea to bundle all in one file

i agree to bundle savage and the patch in one file but not sep

not everbody wants to play sep (there is another mod) and also sep is still worked on so we will see updates in the future

thor27

Post by thor27 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:02

Yes..

I never played this other mod, and I even don't know the difference... I did that since what I read in the forums, that is the only one you can play over the internet... I don't know if this is true or not, but helped to make my decision to choose SEP3T

there are big changes in gameplay, with other mods??

--EDIT--

Now I saw you can play online with ex2 (even clicking in the play on lan option), but I really didn't saw any significant differences....

anyway, I understand your POV. :)