If you can't help me, I dont think anyone can.

Talk about everything.
Scott

If you can't help me, I dont think anyone can.

Post by Scott » Mon Jun 25, 2007 0:55

I tried as hard as I could to get an Atari version of ut2004 and ended up with Midway versions that have no Linux installers twice. It is my understanding that Atari versions have Linux installers. Perhaps I should not have purchased Editors Choice Editions, but I understood they came in Atari versions too. The disks I have have no Linux installers, but I was able to use one of them to install the game into a sub directory in my home folder using wine to run the Windows installer, and then apply the 3369 Linux patch. I did not install it into the .wine folder or any hidden folder in my home directory. To my amazement the game runs, but I cannot install any game packs or mods.

Every time I run a gamepack or mod installer it says "You must install Unreal Tournament 2004 before running this installation program" even though there is a working copy of it on the hard drive.

If anybody has any idea of how I might fix this problem I would be very grateful.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 21:51

The problem is you can't use our updates and mod installers without having the game installed with the linux installer. I will see if i can make an installer for your version of UT2004.

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Jun 25, 2007 22:57

How soon do you think that might happen? No pressure, however it would be much appreciated. Is there a technical reason for that that is easily explained?

I'm finding packs and mods in zips that seem to work so far, but I don't know if everything is available in them because I haven't finished looking around.
The only problem so far seems to be that ut2004 doesn't seem to see the mods in game and I have to start them externally with the command "./ut2004-bin -mod=modname" or make a link.

Perhaps you should make this a sticky or something for others with this same problem to make it possible for them to get their Midway versions up and running in Linux in lieu of one of your installers.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 18:07

Of course you can use mods but you have to install them by hand.

Our mods/updates use the same system the original linux installer does, so they depent on certain files which are created by the installer.

Have a look at http://liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=814

is it the same version you own?

If yes i'm going to try to build an installer according to this information.

Scott

Mine is Editors Choice Edition (ECE) by Midway.

Post by Scott » Thu Jun 28, 2007 20:47

I believe that is a different version than the Anthology edition but have no idea what the difference is, or what difference that makes as far as creating an installer. It does use InstallShield and cab files though, as the example on the link you provided does. If you were asking me something else or wanted more specific information I don't think I understand what you need to know.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 23:46

A 'ls -R' of your cd would be a good starting point :)

Scott

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 06, 2007 23:51

Here you are. A friend had the Atari version, so now I have it, but I will be willing to give you whatever help I can in creating an installer for the Midway version of ECE if you have any more questions..

scott@Suse:/media/UT2004> ls -R
.:
AutoRunData Autorun.inf Disk2 Disk4 Manual.pdf
AutoRun.exe Disk1 Disk3 Disk5

./AutoRunData:
AutoConfig.txt click.wav exit.tga Midway.tga play.tga Unreal.ico
bg.tga epic.tga install.tga music.wav uninstall.tga

./Disk1:
data1.cab data2.cab layout.bin setup.exe setup.ini setup.isn
data1.hdr engine32.cab Setup.bmp setup.ibt setup.inx

./Disk2:
data3.cab

./Disk3:
data4.cab

./Disk4:
data5.cab

./Disk5:
data6.cab
scott@Suse:/media/UT2004>

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 17:12

Scott please test this installer, its for the Midway version you own:

http://liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=794

Scott

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:05

I tried the installer. Here's what I got.

Console Message:

scott@Suse:~/Files/Games/Ut2004> ./ut2004_3369-german.midway.dvd-3.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Unreal Tournament 2004 3369-german.midway.dvd Installer............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Then this dialog message that popped up:

There is not enough free diskspace in your TMPDIR you need about: 6000 MB Try: Export TMPDIR=/where/you/have/alot/of/freespace

This is the first time I have received a message like this trying to install a game.

I haven't changed anything in the system and actually I had just removed the existing installation of 2004 before I tried to install this to avoid any conflicts.

Kinfocenter says I have 3.8 gigs free on my /dev/hdb2 / partition, and 189.3 gigs free on /dev/hdb3 /home.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 20:33

And on which partion is /tmp?

I guess /dev/hdb2 :)

There error messages contains a hint

set TMPDIR before you run the installer

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:57

I'm afraid my command line usage is not at expert level. I figured that perhaps you had it set up to use the tmp dir on the root partition by default and that was causing the error. However my knowledge of syntax is not sufficient to allow me to specify a directory on a different partition (if specifying the partition is needed), say on my home partition which is larger, to store the temporary files.

I have created a tmp directory in my /home/scott folder for miscelaneous stuff. I'll try just sticking it in there and see what happens.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:39

Ok, apparently setting the tmpdir worked and I got an installation dialog.

After setting installation directory the next dialog showed:

install progress
----------------------------

base install-

running script please wait.
This went to 100% immediately

total install- 0%
It did nothing for a long time then said it was installed successfully.

---------------------------
It never asked for the product key.

This is the readout from console:

Uncompressing Unreal Tournament 2004 3369-german.midway.dvd Installer............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
scott@Suse:~/Files/Games/Ut2004> export TMPDIR=/home/scott/Files/Temp

Extracting files from Disc 1

loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Animations' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Benchmark' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'ForceFeedback' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Help' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'KarmaData' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Maps' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Music' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Sounds' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Speech' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'StaticMeshes' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'System' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Textures' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'Web' in '/home/scott/Files/Temp/selfgz156456750/data'

---

After this I hit the game start button on the installation box and got this:

MissingIni

History:

Exiting due to error
scott@Suse:~/Files/Games/Ut2004>

The game did not start.

Will my default tmpdir be restored after reboot? I don't even know where it was.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:47

Forgot to say I tried to run the shell script in the ut2004 folder and ut2004-bin in the ut2004/system folder and got the same error as well.

Starcrasher

Post by Starcrasher » Tue Jul 17, 2007 15:31

It seems that nothing as been installed because there was nothing in your tmp folder.

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Jul 17, 2007 20:20

Well it did install something because there was a full game directory structure present after running the installation, but I do not believe that all of the files that were supposed to be in the folders were there. I looked in the game system folder and although I do not know every file required to run the game, according to what I've seen before it did look far too small.