Soldier of Fortune 2

Talk about everything.
Silent-Hunter

Soldier of Fortune 2

Postby Silent-Hunter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47

Will there be/is there an installer for Soldier of Fortune 2? I have the Gold version.

rettichschnidi
liflg member

Postby rettichschnidi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10

No. Never. Soldier of Fortune 2 is not available as Linux version.

Silent-Hunter

Postby Silent-Hunter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:43

Why not? Why won't there ever be one? There's one for SoF 1.

rettichschnidi
liflg member

Postby rettichschnidi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:43

Loki Software did the Linuxport of the first Soldier of Fortune. Unfortunately, Loki Software is bankrupt since 2001.

Silent-Hunter

Postby Silent-Hunter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 23:13

No one else can do it?

mat

Postby mat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:12

Silent-Hunter wrote:No one else can do it?

No.

"At around this time I got the news that we had all been expecting. Loki was going out of business. I immediately contacted Loki, and asked them if LGP could obtain the rights to carry on producing the games they had made. This would have been a great boost to the new company, and would have allowed us to keep on making the games that were still in great demand by Linux gamers. Unfortunately Scott, the CEO of Loki at the time, was asking for such a ludicrous amount of money for the licenses (way more than they were possibly worth, and probably more money than the games had made by selling for the entire history of Loki) that I had to let the idea go. We made a second attempt at the liquidation of Loki to acquire the rights, but the company handling the liquidation was so unprofessional, that they made it impossible to do so. With their policy being that the only way for me to officially state our interest being to fax them, and their only fax machine being broken for over 2 months (they kept telling us it would be fixed any day), we didn’t really have a hope. The liquidation hearing came and went before they contacted me, several months later, and acknowledged LGP’s interest in the liquidation. Not a lot of use really."

http://blog.linuxgamepublishing.com/200 ... arly-days/

Silent-Hunter

Postby Silent-Hunter » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:20

Oh. But people do Linux ports of other games. How is this different?

Jusko

Postby Jusko » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:27

To make port game must be build on easy cross-platform components. DirectX is like little suidide to port (you must write all DX functions in OpenGL) and DX is ONLY for Windows. Second - to make port you must have game source code. Source code is not for free... Not every game may be ported to Linux (DirectX). Games written in OpenGL are easy to ported, but 8 of 10 games are in DirectX. I think Wine is only solution for SoF2.

Silent-Hunter

Postby Silent-Hunter » Sun Feb 21, 2010 23:55

SoF2 doesn't support OpenGL I take it?

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 18:09

It does but this doesn't qualify for an Linux client automatically.

Silent-Hunter

Postby Silent-Hunter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 22:47

Oh. I'm curious, is there DirectX for Linux?

Jusko

Postby Jusko » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:17

No - DirectX is only for Windows and Microsoft is DX owner, so there is no DirectX for Mac or Linux (and probably you never see him on other platform than Windows or XBOX). If DX was be on Linux, then almost all games was be on Linux and MacOS, and there be no needed to re-write games in OpenGL to make Linux port. Windows games are pure in this Microsoft technology (ex. games from Electronic Arts and many, many others company's) and to play them is only one way Wine/CrossOver Games or Cedega (but TransGaming wants to stop making Cedega for Linux and they start investing in Cider. There is no games for Linux made by Cider - shame...better anything than almost nothing...). Many games for MacOs are made using Cider - i don't know why not for Linux.

Silent-Hunter

Postby Silent-Hunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:44

Oh, OK.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 18:20

I think we can close this now.