Kingpin will install - unable to play game

Need help with one of the installers?
gampy

Kingpin will install - unable to play game

Post by gampy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 21:55

Hello folks,

I have an fx5900 Ultra (nVidia 66.29 Linux drivers) installed under Novell (Suse) 9.0. I can install and play Quake2 on the same setup without any problems. Kingpin (Native) will install successfully, but I can't actually play the game. I can enter the Game's setup screens and adjust the screensize, etc. When I try to play the game, it just opens up a "black" screen with colored lines and freezes. I have the game's options configured correctly (open GL, Not Mesa GL, etc.). Can anyone guide me in the right direction to resolve this? Any knowledgeable help will be greatly appreciated.

Charles
http://chucky.homeip.net
http://www.chuckyallen.com
http://www.tabletdeluxe.com

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 0:07

just a try

in your installdir

open kingpin.sh in a editor

remove +set gl_driver libGL.so (in the last line)

gampy

I will give it a try.

Post by gampy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:03

Thank-you, kratz00

I'll give it a try right now. I'm getting too old to be messing with this silly game stuff" anyway. .lol. If it doesn't work, I won't bother post the results. If it does work, I'll be sure to let you know.

gampy

Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

Post by gampy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:10

Hello again, kratz00,

No, your tip didn't fix the problem. Thank-you for the help just the same though.
kratz00 wrote:just a try

in your installdir

open kingpin.sh in a editor

remove +set gl_driver libGL.so (in the last line)

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:04

+set gl_driver /usr/lib/libGL.so

another try :)
perhaps you have to change the path

Kingpin copy won't work?

Post by Kingpin copy won't work? » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:11

Hi folks,

First off, please don't get the idea that I'm some old, nefarious character using all sorts of improperly acquired software. However, my son made a copy of Kingpin for me about 3 - 4 years ago. I can now get the game to go past the options screen, but as soon as it starts "loading" it exits to the desktop. I've managed to fix up the 3D problem. I had to "under clock" my nVidia GeForce FX5900 Ultra (Modded to 5950). I downloaded and configured/ compiled/installed the latest CVS of nvclock.

I've read that the game CD needs to be mounted. I make sure that the game CD is mounted. Is it because it's a copy instead of the original that this happens? I've looked for the game (I don't imagine it would cost me too many of my Canadian dollars now-a-days) at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack but was unable to find it.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:36

the game will check all mounted iso 9960 for kingpin/data1.cab

if your distributation uses auto or super mount you won't have luck, disable it