Help...be gentle

Need help with one of the installers?
john-boi

Help...be gentle

Post by john-boi » Mon Oct 10, 2005 18:01

I've just installed Linspire as a dual boot with Windows just to see if Linux has caught up with windows yet as regards games.

I managed to install UT2004 straight off the CD's but now would like to have go with either Doom3 or COD.

I've downloaded the installers for the games but when I click on them (verified with checksum) nothing seems to happen beyond it opening the installer Iget a progress bar it goes all the way through (sometimes it freezes at 97-98%) then nothing..to my eyes anyway.

I must admit to being a total ignoramus here.Are there any guides of how to use the installers.Should I have the relevant game disc in the disc drive?

Do I have to input something in a Konsole window (scary to someone straight from XP)Or is the installer hidden somewhere in my hard drive?

thanks for any help you can give

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 10, 2005 18:51

The installers downloaded from this site need to be run from the command line. Just cd to the directory where you downloaded it then type sh <name of installer file> (the instructions are posted elsewhere on this site :) ).

If you don't have your game CD mounted a dialog box will ask you to do so. Quick way to do this is just press Alt and F2 simultaneously to bring up your 'run' dialog box. Then insert your CD/DVD and type mount /cdrom and you should be good to go.

Has Linux caught up with Windows re games? Well, yes and no. There aren't many more native Linux games now compared to a year ago - doom 3 and the upcoming quake4 come to mind. Wine and cedega have improved somewhat. Depending on your hardware you should get most of your games to run, though.

I say 'depending on your hardware' because the performance of some games under wine/cedega can be a bit iffy. Halflife 2 runs very well on my 3-year-old machine under windows xp. but under Linux it's still too sluggish to be enjoyable :( .

If you want to play COD I recommend you use Wine plus the Loki installer. If you use Cedega you won't be able to play multiplayer becuase punkbuster and cedega don't get along. It seems to have no problem with Wine, though, once you update it manually.

but most things should work ok. I find it helps quite a lot with frame rates if you run a lightweight desktop like xfce4. Forget those resource-chewing hogs like kde and gnome.

But whatever takes your fancy I guess :)

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 23:04

nice post by guest

also have a look on our faq's

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:51

Thanks for that I'll try and give it a go.But I guess I need to get myself a bit more aquainted with Linux before I can carry it out.Worth a try though.SO used to just bunging Game CD's in and getting an install screen...

Wish me luck!

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:33

good luck :)