About DOOM3 installer

Need help with one of the installers?

About DOOM3 installer

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:06

I was at DOOM3 website, and I saw that:
Third party installers

Some individuals and distributions are repackaging id software releases for Linux into their own installers. We need to insist here again that this is not legal. You can not tamper with id software's intellectual property by redistributing the games under a modified form. The only distribution format for id games on GNU/Linux is the installer we provide. In particular, it is essential that all users acknowledge the End User License Agreement prompt before any installation. DOOM III on GNU/Linux is a proprietary product, and it cannot be handled in the same way as free software products would.

As a user, you should refrain from using any such third-party installer. Please do not report any setup or runtime bugs if you are not using the official installers.
So...I think they are saying about your installer...or maybe I'm wrong...

Anyway..your installers are much better the theirs ;)

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:35

we know
so we are bad, evil and illegal
so don't use our installer! :)

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:24

You bad, evil man! The imps and wraiths are on their way to get you! ;)

But seriously, as long as we have legitimately acquired the games, what's their problem? OK, you can't expect id to provide any support for third-party installers, but that's why these forums exist.

In fact, from id's point of view, the loki installers are probably better, because you need to mount the actual CD for it to work, whereas the 'official' installers only require you to copy over game files, which you theoretically could have got from anywhere (OK, same probably with the CD but at least it's a proper game CD).

johny42

Post by johny42 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 16:55

In particular, it is essential that all users acknowledge the End User License Agreement
I guess that's why they want you to use their installer. (Or does the liflg one make you accept the license too?)

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 19:07

you didn't have look on it?
if so you would know the answer :)

and the answer is YES