UT99 - Segmentation fault ./$GAME_BINARY "$CMD_ARGS&quo

Need help with one of the installers?
Post Reply
Punker

UT99 - Segmentation fault ./$GAME_BINARY "$CMD_ARGS&quo

Post by Punker » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:31

Please disregard my last post (unless I actually was right about needing a different CD). For the record, I have an original, retail CD (non-goty).

I am running a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.10 (linux 2.6.12-9-686) on a 2.2Ghz (3200+) AMD Athlon XP, 1GB DDR RAM, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, GeForce FX 5700LE, NVIDIA driver 1.0-7667 installed and fully operational (Desktop 1280x1024 @ 85Hz).

The following is a copy of my terminal while installing UT with my comments bracketed by ###. I used all the default settings including standard textures, menu entries (which didn't work, btw, unless I don't know where to look), and it was to install to '/home/shrike/ut' with links in '/home/shrike' (again, by default).

Code: Select all

shrike@the-decline:~/My Downloads$ sh unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Unreal Tournament 436-multilanguage Installer...................................................................................

###Following line comes up when the GUI opens###
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
###Following line comes up immediately after I select "Install Now"###
loki_setup: Can't create /home/shrike/ut: File exists
###Following two lines come up once files are finished copying and the GUI reports "Installation Complete" but before selecting anything like "Exit"###
ERROR: No matching delta for /home/shrike/ut/System/Editor.u 
nix
shrike@the-decline:~/My Downloads$ ut
###Following line: ???###
bash: ut: command not found
shrike@the-decline:~/My Downloads$ cd ..
shrike@the-decline:~$ ls
###Following line: ut here is the install folder. no link was made?###
Desktop  My Downloads  ucc  ut
shrike@the-decline:~$ ut
bash: ut: command not found
shrike@the-decline:~$ cd ut
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$ ls
Help  Maps   NetGamesUSA.com  README.Loki  System    ucc        ut      Web
Logs  Music  README           Sounds       Textures  uninstall  ut.xpm
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$ ut
bash: ut: command not found
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$ sh ut
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.
###Following line: Aha?###
ut: line 75: 13241 Segmentation fault      ./$GAME_BINARY "$CMD_ARGS" "$@"
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$
And here is my UnrealTournament.log
Log: Log file open, Thu Oct 27 20:40:31 2005
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Version: 436
Init: Compiled: Oct 30 2000 11:53:24
Init: Command line:
Init: Base directory:
Init: Character set: ANSI
Log: Bound to Engine.so
Log: Bound to Core.so
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Init: CPU Speed=2201.744797 MHz
Init: Unreal engine initialized
Log: Bound to SDLDrv.so
Init: Joystick [0] : Logitech Inc. WingMan RumblePad
Init: Joystick has 9 buttons
Init: Joystick has 7 axes
Init: SDLClient initialized.
Log: Bound to Render.so
Init: Lighting subsystem initialized
Init: Rendering initialized
Log: LoadMap: Entry
Log: Bound to Fire.so
Log: Case-insensitive search: Botpack -> ..\System\BotPack.u
Log: Bound to IpDrv.so
Log: Game class is 'DeathMatchPlus'
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Allocation checking disabled
Uninitialized: Log file closed, Thu Oct 27 20:40:36 2005
Also, I'm not sure why it bound to SDLDrv.so. My UnrealTournament.ini has 'OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice' set for 'GameRenderDevice', 'WindowedRenderDevice', and 'RenderDevice'. Or did that have to do with the 'ViewportManager' entry which is set to SDLDrv.SDLClient?

I hope the length of this post is considered good detail rather than annoying clutter. Thanks so much for your continued effort to bring great games to linux guys. I'm so ready to abandon Windows for good!

kratz00
liflg member
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 16:23

Re: UT99 - Segmentation fault ./$GAME_BINARY "$CMD_ARGS

Post by kratz00 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:58

Punker wrote: The following is a copy of my terminal while installing UT with my comments bracketed by ###. I used all the default settings including standard textures, menu entries (which didn't work, btw, unless I don't know where to look), and it was to install to '/home/shrike/ut' with links in '/home/shrike' (again, by default).
menu entries only work in gnome or kde.
why should /home/shrike/ut link to /home/shrike?!
Punker wrote:

Code: Select all

shrike@the-decline:~/My Downloads$ sh unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Unreal Tournament 436-multilanguage Installer...................................................................................

###Following line comes up when the GUI opens###
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
###Following line comes up immediately after I select "Install Now"###
loki_setup: Can't create /home/shrike/ut: File exists
###Following two lines come up once files are finished copying and the GUI reports "Installation Complete" but before selecting anything like "Exit"###
ERROR: No matching delta for /home/shrike/ut/System/Editor.u 
nix
shrike@the-decline:~/My Downloads$ ut
###Following line: ???###
bash: ut: command not found
shrike@the-decline:~/My Downloads$ cd ..
shrike@the-decline:~$ ls
###Following line: ut here is the install folder. no link was made?###
Desktop  My Downloads  ucc  ut
shrike@the-decline:~$ ut
bash: ut: command not found
shrike@the-decline:~$ cd ut
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$ ls
Help  Maps   NetGamesUSA.com  README.Loki  System    ucc        ut      Web
Logs  Music  README           Sounds       Textures  uninstall  ut.xpm
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$ ut
bash: ut: command not found
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$ sh ut
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.
###Following line: Aha?###
ut: line 75: 13241 Segmentation fault      ./$GAME_BINARY "$CMD_ARGS" "$@"
shrike@the-decline:~/ut$
the first is only a warning
why does ut exist already? didn't uninstall properly the last time?
ERROR: No matching delta for /home/shrike/ut/System/Editor.u <- this could be the problem, patching this file failed (is your cd dirty or scratched?)
also strange where the installer put the symlinks of the ut and ucc
what was the path in the installer?
Punker wrote: And here is my UnrealTournament.log
Log: Log file open, Thu Oct 27 20:40:31 2005
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Version: 436
Init: Compiled: Oct 30 2000 11:53:24
Init: Command line:
Init: Base directory:
Init: Character set: ANSI
Log: Bound to Engine.so
Log: Bound to Core.so
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Init: CPU Speed=2201.744797 MHz
Init: Unreal engine initialized
Log: Bound to SDLDrv.so
Init: Joystick [0] : Logitech Inc. WingMan RumblePad
Init: Joystick has 9 buttons
Init: Joystick has 7 axes
Init: SDLClient initialized.
Log: Bound to Render.so
Init: Lighting subsystem initialized
Init: Rendering initialized
Log: LoadMap: Entry
Log: Bound to Fire.so
Log: Case-insensitive search: Botpack -> ..\System\BotPack.u
Log: Bound to IpDrv.so
Log: Game class is 'DeathMatchPlus'
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Allocation checking disabled
Uninitialized: Log file closed, Thu Oct 27 20:40:36 2005
Also, I'm not sure why it bound to SDLDrv.so. My UnrealTournament.ini has 'OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice' set for 'GameRenderDevice', 'WindowedRenderDevice', and 'RenderDevice'. Or did that have to do with the 'ViewportManager' entry which is set to SDLDrv.SDLClient?

I hope the length of this post is considered good detail rather than annoying clutter. Thanks so much for your continued effort to bring great games to linux guys. I'm so ready to abandon Windows for good!
SDL is used for video here and has nothing to do with sound :)

Punker

Post by Punker » Fri Oct 28, 2005 22:36

kratz00 wrote:menu entries only work in gnome or kde.
I am using Gnome.
kratz00 wrote:why should /home/shrike/ut link to /home/shrike?!
What I meant to say is that by default the installer listed the "Install Path" as "/home/shrike/ut" and the "Link Path" as "/home/shrike". The "Install a symbolic link into the path" was checked. "Base Install" and "Standard Textures" were checked (required). And "Startup menu entries (KDE/Gnome/CDE)" was checked. Also I had plenty of disk space. These were the default settings for the installer. I'm just trying to make sure they are correct.
kratz00 wrote:ERROR: No matching delta for /home/shrike/ut/System/Editor.u <- this could be the problem, patching this file failed (is your cd dirty or scratched?)
I think this may have had more to do with the improper previous uninstallation? This CD is in rather good condition, and I have used it to install flawlessly in Windows on many occasions.
kratz00 wrote:why does ut exist already? didn't uninstall properly the last time?
I did forget to mention this. I tried installing once before this attempt, but I changed the install path to "/usr/local/games/ut" (I really couldn't say why... mostly because I'm a noob). I remember seeing more errors during that install (which I'm assuming have something to do with permissions and the lack thereof for that install directory). So, I attempted to uninstall the game, but I probably did it inproperly. I believe I ended up having to issue a command like "sh uninstall" from within the "/usr/local/games/ut" directory. It did say uninstall complete (or successful, or whatever), though.
kratz00 wrote:also strange where the installer put the symlinks of the ut and ucc
what was the path in the installer?
The install path was set to "/home/shrike/ut" by default.

So, I guess before I can really get anything done, I need to know how I am supposed to go about properly uninstalling ut? And because I may have messed up uninstalling previously, are there any other extra steps I could take to make sure all traces are gone? Aside from the install path and link path, are there any other paths where files are written that I could double check to make sure are deleted after uninstalling?

I'm sorry that my questions most likely cover common sense areas for more seasoned linux users. I'm still very much in the learning stages. And a big thanks for all your help kratz00. You are very appreciated.

kratz00
liflg member
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 16:23

Post by kratz00 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 14:55

normaly your homedir isn't in PATH so better create ~/bin and put this in dir in PATH var

also delete all old installations and ~/.loki/ut ~/.loki/installed/ut.xml

Post Reply