NWN is unusable

Need help with one of the installers?
stretched_lobes

NWN is unusable

Post by stretched_lobes » Thu Dec 15, 2005 20:32

I have updated nwn to 1.66 using your update. I have installed nwn. Everything runs great until I try to make a new charachter or use a premade charachter. once I select either, i get the following error messages. Could not load the module
Could not unpack the module

What did I do wrong? Is there something else I need to install? Should I install the CEP package? Please help. thank you.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:55

first you have could used the searchfunction
second did you install as root?

stretched_lobes

NWN is unusable

Post by stretched_lobes » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:20

thanks for the reply. As to your questions. 1) I did use the search and I did not find a fix using 1.66 . 2) I installed as root. I apologize for not being a guru in this. I am a newbie and I do not have the knowledge base I should. I came here for help with the installer. I searched the archives for NWN, Neverwinter Nights, 1.66 charachter creation, etc. I found reference to these issues ,but they were for v1.65 and there were no answers to the issues. The only thing i could see to do was to check the read write properties. If this is the case what should I be looking for as a conflict in the RW ownership. Again I apologize for being a newbie and being ignorant of what to do. Thanks again for your reply. Hopefully, someone can still help me with this issue.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:35

you don't have to apologize!

nwn needs write permisson in installdir
if you installed as root and you run is as a other user you wont have write permisson

best solution would be to install nwn in the users home directory who is going to play nwn

stretched_lobes

NWN unusable

Post by stretched_lobes » Fri Dec 16, 2005 20:13

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I still am having no luck. I tried to reinstall but this time I cannot even get the installer to work. The installer keeps asking me to retry mounting the cd. (It did not do this yesterday.) I have finally reached my edge of frustration and will try again in a while. I had to remove the files manually yesterday...The uninstall did not work. I imagine that is why it would not work today. I used the rm -rf command and probably broke something. I do not know what to do or where to start now. It would not let me run it in a home directory. Oh well I guess I will have to save up and but the linux versions. I am having no luck and way too much frustration doing it this way. I may try Serious Sam next. Again thanks for your help....I was just too stupid to have it work. Merry Christmas and thanks

stretched_lobes

nwn is unusable

Post by stretched_lobes » Fri Dec 16, 2005 22:55

Well, I went for a run and cleared my head . I cameback and installed nwn with the 1.66 update. It installed fine but i still cannot unpack modules. I installed the game in my home directory. when I run the game as root, it starts to unpack the modules, but crashes to the desktop. Should I change my permissions for the files in my home directory? thanks for any help

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 0:09

i don't own nwn myself so i have no idea what you are talking about :)

Why should modules be unpacked? What modules etc

why did the uninstall script not work?
you should uninstall the game as the same user who installed it

because you deleted it by hand that ~/.loki/installed/nwn.xml isn't existent before you reinstall

if you install it as a normal user in your home directory you shouldn't get any permissons trouble

stretched_lobes

nwn Unusable Slved !!!

Post by stretched_lobes » Sat Dec 17, 2005 18:17

I finally got the game working it works flawlessly, and faster than windows. I made a stupid newbie mistake. I updated to the wrong directory. I should have known better. Thank you for your help. If you like I will send you a copy of nwn for helping me. just let me know. Again many thanks. :) :) :)

kratz00
liflg member

Re: nwn Unusable Slved !!!

Post by kratz00 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 22:52

stretched_lobes wrote:I finally got the game working it works flawlessly, and faster than windows.

Great!

stretched_lobes wrote: I made a stupid newbie mistake. I updated to the wrong directory. I should have known better.

The update installer should detect the installpath automatically?!

stretched_lobes wrote:Thank you for your help. If you like I will send you a copy of nwn for helping me. just let me know. Again many thanks. :) :) :)

if you have a legal copy left over i would be glad if you would donate it to me :)

schoki (our man for nwn) is busy with other stuff till June
and so i could maintain the nwn installer and update our outdated nwn cep installer