Doomsday Installer

Need help with one of the installers?
?

Doomsday Installer

Post by ? » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:46

Hi.

I've created a Doomsday installer for linux www.doomsdayhq.com, my first idea was to put the shareware wad's into the installer but by recommendation from a friend so i deleted it. He said me "bahhh forget the demo wad's, is very easy to get the full wad's from abandonware sites"

The binaries were compiled to the standart loki setup path.

So the only needed is the full wads in order to play it.

I've also added a Doomsday launcher for start any game.

Here the shots:

Doomsday installer

Doomsday launcher

Is there anybody interesed in test it? the run file is 5 mb.

Cheers

whawha

Post by whawha » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:51

Sorry, i don't know why my username is "?" when is "whawha" really

I wrote this post about doomsday installer.

Cheers

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 16:30

basically yes :)

a installer without the datafiles or the possiblity to get them from cd is a littelbit useless

i think the idea with the shareware files is good

if people want more they can go and get the "full files" even though i don't no if those
"abandonware sites" are legal

also the launcher looks nice, what tk is it? gtk1?

whawha

Post by whawha » Sat Nov 20, 2004 22:09

Hi,

Well i've decided to create a demo installer too with doom, heretic and hexen shareware data. The file are 13,7 MB

In reference to make a run file for Doom cd's is very difficult, i'm owner for Doom 2 and Doom collector's edition only, i haven't doom or final doom cd's so i don't know the structure directories. I have Heretic, Hexen and DeathKings for hexen cd's too.

I can do an installer for Collector's Edition, the wad files are easy to copy, Hexen and Heretic no problems too, but Hexen DeathKings are "deice.exe" and "resource.1" executables.

I think what is better and faster copy the wads's into ..../Data/jDoom , .../Data/jHeretic and .../Data/jHexen. In total four cd's for install, too many mount and umount.

Thanks.

dekropisvol

Post by dekropisvol » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:41

Hi,

Just make an installer for the game it self, let the people put the .wad into the specific directory where they have installed the game.

You'll have no illegal actions, i think the .wad files from doom or the other games are still IP.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 14:29

@whawha

you could make 4 single installers
also we could update the installers later if people get us the facts we need for the versions you don't have

@dekropisvol
using shareware files wouldn't get us in trouble

whawha

Post by whawha » Sun Nov 21, 2004 14:32

The installers are made, but how can i host them? i have no site.

The Demo installer is 13,7 mb and the binaries only installer is 5,2 mb.

I will start an installer for EvilDicks coop for Rune http://www.rune.secretlabs.net/index.php great mod, i must to do some test first, i don't know for now if Halls of Valhalla is required to play it. I know what there are some incompatibles Textures in the EvilDicks mod for win.

whawha

Post by whawha » Sun Nov 21, 2004 14:43

kratz00 wrote:@whawha

you could make 4 single installers
also we could update the installers later if people get us the facts we need for the versions you don't have

Oops at the same time :)

4 Single installers? this is one for Doom Collectors, one for Heretic, one for Hexen and one for Hexen DeathKings?

Well, i think what with Death Kings i will have problems, i don't know what to do with deice and resource executables. I will look now.

Cheers

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 15:33

dunno if it's the same but take a look:

http://icculus.org/runecoop/

4 Single installers? this is one for Doom Collectors, one for Heretic, one for Hexen and one for Hexen DeathKings?

right :)
Well, i think what with Death Kings i will have problems, i don't know what to do with deice and resource executables.

try a file *.exe
perhaps this are zip files or something like that

dekropisvol

Post by dekropisvol » Sun Nov 21, 2004 18:11

@kratz00

Nope, that would give you no problem, i didn't read the above post of whawha with talking about the shareware, only the one about abandon.....

I should read all posts first before posting :shock:

whawha

Post by whawha » Mon Nov 22, 2004 17:36

Hi,

Installers created.

-Doomsday installer with no data and no possibility to install data from cd's

-Doom Collector's Edition

-Heretic

-Hexen & Hexen DeathKings

I've also made a multi installer for Doom Collectors, Heretic, Hexen and Hexen DK, but is for own enjoy.

I have some problems related with uninstall, if i install Doom Collectors, no problem here, the uninstall script works fine, if later i install heretic, Hexen or Hexen DK, the uninstall script fails with segmentation fault and don't work.

I think what i must to add a post-uninstall script in the setup, don't know.

The rune coop from Icculus not is the same, the coop from Icculus is the Rune game in coop mode, by other hand EvilDicks coop mod is a new single player mission, firstly cooperative mode but is possible to play launching a server and play it as single player.

Cheers

dekropisvol

Post by dekropisvol » Mon Nov 22, 2004 21:21

@whawha

Maybe a rude question, but where can i download the installer(s).

whawha

Post by whawha » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:28

dekropisvol wrote:@whawha

Maybe a rude question, but where can i download the installer(s).

You have a pm

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:23

@whawha

lets talk directly
visit us in irc :)

whawha

Post by whawha » Tue Nov 23, 2004 13:01

Sorry, it was not my intention :oops:

It was for not to put my email in the post.

Now a question, when is liflg irc up?

Cheers