Quake 2 Sound Configuration

Need help with one of the installers?

Quake 2 Sound Configuration

Post by billyfoxtrot » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:23

Hi everyone,

I just bought the Ultimate Quake CD set and I'm trying to get Quake 2 working. The installer works just fine, but I find that when I run the game, I have problems with sound. With the SDL version of Quake 2, the sound is fuzzy sounding -- I'm not sure if this problem is fixable.

I've tried going into the quake2.sh file and changing GAME_BINARY to "quake2", but when I do that, I get no sound at all. The console gives me the error: "ALSA snd error couldn't set params (Invalid argument)." I'm pretty sure the issue has something to do with my config.cfg file in the ~/.quake2/baseq2 directory, and I believe that this is fixable. If I switch the sndspeed option to something other than 0, I get this weird sounding noise, but I no longer get the "couldn't set params" error, instead the console says "sound sampling rate: 123" (or whatever number I use). Also, I get a ALSA buffer underrun error message. Does anyone know what I should set my sndspeed option as? Also, are there any other sound configuration options I need to change? Thanks!

liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 19:24

first backup ~/.quake2 and start from a fresh 'base'

are you running any sound daemons like ESD or Artsd?

another hint, try to play with the SDL_AUDIODRIVER enviorment variable

Post by shooter » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:36

I have had same problem and solved it by installing libsdl-alsa and disabling sound mixing (ESD) - system sounds. Another good thing is to use q2 quetoo engine, disabling desktop acceleration (compiz, beryl)...etc

example to set sound in q2

#quake2 +set snddriver sdl
#quake2 +set snddriver alsa
#quake2 +set snddriver oss

Post by shooter » Thu Apr 26, 2007 14:29

...and more about q2: liflg installer comes with q2max and thats not so good for online multiplayer (rocket, grenade smoke. etc).

I would like to see quetoo installer. It handles sdl-alsa sound much better than icculus port. Also it you put retexture.pak from project page http://jdolan.dyndns.org/trac/wiki/Quetoo to baseq2 dir, it runs with 32 textures without loosing performance. And most important, quetoo supports async protocol for networking. I thing it hasn't - menu, so you need to know console commands or build config manually and make bindings like "bind p "connect quake2.example.com"