No CD Audio in Quake 2

Need help with one of the installers?
Sleaka_J

No CD Audio in Quake 2

Post by Sleaka_J » Mon Jun 09, 2008 19:19

Ok, I installed the Loki Quake 2 3.21 installer and the game itself works perfectly. However when I insert the Quake 2 disc (the original one) or any CD audio disc, it doesn't play. Actually what it does is the light on my drive comes on indicating that it's playing but there is no sound coming from it. The sound in Quake 2 plays as normal, just no music from my CD.

I've checked that it plays in Linux, and it plays just like any normal audio CD (I checked a few different audio CDs and the Quake 2 CD and they all play properly from Linux but not in the game).
I've tried adding SDL_AUDIODRIVER variables, but didn't solve the problem (alsa works, esd works, sdl plays no sound at all).
I've also checked my config.cfg and it has the following commands:

set cd_volume "1"
set cd_nocd "0"

So it should be working. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 with a Creative Audigy card. Any ideas?

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 21:33

cd_nocd 0 // disable CD audio

so try setting it to "1"

Sleaka_J

Post by Sleaka_J » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:08

As I suspected, setting cd_nocd to 1 disables the CD audio from even trying to play. It stops the light on my drive indicating that CD audio is not playing.

I'm thinking it's something to do with this particular port of Quake 2 and less to do with my system.

On another note: I read in another thread that the expansion packs aren't working with this port, but that was a couple of years ago. Any update on them? Here's the thread in question:

http://liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 20:40

The installer is build arround this Quake2 port: http://icculus.org/quake2/
Maybe you find some help or information on the project page.
Please let us know if you found a solution.
Sleaka_J wrote: On another note: I read in another thread that the expansion packs aren't working with this port, but that was a couple of years ago. Any update on them? Here's the thread in question:

http://liflg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458
I'm note 100 percent sure but I think nothing has changed since then but you could 'pm' kingron, I think he did this installer.

Sleaka_J

Post by Sleaka_J » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36

You want to know what's interesting?

I installed Quake 2 on my Windows XP partition and copied it across to Ubuntu and ran it via Wine and still had no CD Audio (Had to set it to use OSS as ALSA was horribly skippy).

Again, the light on my drive (which indicates drive activity) was on, meaning I should be hearing CD Audio. CD Audio plays in Quake 2 properly under Windows (The way it's meant to be).

So it seems it's not a problem with the port after all, it's definitely some sort of audio configuration I don't have or something. I wish I knew what I was looking for.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 19:04

You wrote you can play audio cds under Linux, even this Quake 2 cd, right?
Really strange it does not work in the game.

Maybe this is useful (http://svn.icculus.org/quake2/trunk/src ... iew=markup):

Code: Select all

To set this, use +set on the command line, i.e.:
	./quake2 +set cd_dev /dev/hdc +set sndmono 1

nocdaudio (defaults to 0)
  Do not enable cd audio if not zero

Sleaka_J

Post by Sleaka_J » Wed Jun 11, 2008 20:21

kratz00 wrote:You wrote you can play audio cds under Linux, even this Quake 2 cd, right?
Really strange it does not work in the game.
Yeah, Quake 2 CD Audio plays fine in Rhythmbox, but won't play in the game. I don't think it's a setting in the port anymore as Quake 2 under Wine (the original 3.20 id supported version) does the same thing.

Half of those console commands that work in the 3.21 version of the port don't work in the official 3.20 version.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 22:15

I'm running out of ideas but as it seems to work with Linux it should work in the game too.

Sleaka_J

Post by Sleaka_J » Sun Jun 15, 2008 14:43

Don't worry too much about it anymore, I posted this question in 2 different sections ("Gaming and Leisure" + "Multimedia and Video") on the Ubuntu forums as well and didn't get a single reply in either of them (apart from me bumping them). So I gave up on trying to fix it.

So now I'm playing Quake 2 in Windows where the CD audio works. Dual boot for the win!!!

Thanks for trying to help. Got a hell of a lot more help here than I did on the Ubuntu forums.

kratz00
liflg member

Post by kratz00 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 19:10

You are welcome :)

What a pitty you can't figure it out and you have to play this game under Windows now :(