Can Unreal Tournament be run under Linux on an XBox?

Need help with one of the installers?
Eddie H

Can Unreal Tournament be run under Linux on an XBox?

Postby Eddie H » Thu Sep 24, 2009 19:50

I hope that this isn't off topic, since this forum seems to be for the PC rather than the XBox, but is there anyone in this forum who has a modded XBox (Xbox 1, not the 360), either hardware or software modded? I ask as I'd love to get Unreal Tournament running on the XBox, under Linux (the XBox has several native Linux builds available for it), but I know nothing about Linux.

Surely the XBox, under Linux can run UT, the XBox is basically a 64MB PC with a P3-733MHz CPU and an Nvidia graphics card (even software mode graphics would be acceptable, I think, as it's UT's gameplay that's important). Some bloke on http://xbox-scene.com/ claimed to have gotten UT running very well on the XBox, but he didn't post up any details and then he disappeared. Yes, he might have been lying, but surely UT on the XBox would be possible, using the Linux version of the game?

If anyone's interested in reading up on it, go to http://xbox-scene.com/ and see the FAQs and the Linux forum, and if there are any XBox Linux users on here, then please consider looking into the matter. You'd make a fair few staunch XBox fans very happy

Hopefully someone here will have the necessary knowledge to help.

Thanks for any answers.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 20:40

I would try to install the game on a pc and copy the whole installation directory to the XBox.

Eddie H

Postby Eddie H » Fri Sep 25, 2009 14:59

kratz00 wrote:I would try to install the game on a pc and copy the whole installation directory to the XBox.

Good idea. I'll give that a go, although since you suggest it I take that means that Linux programs/games are (generally) portable from machine to machine via copying just the program's folder (and enclosed programs and subfolders, obviously)? I ask as Windows sometimes places related files such as .DLL or .INI files in other places, usually somewhere in the c:\windows folder.

I've downloaded Ubuntu (9.04) for the PC, and the Linux build of Unreal Tournament (I only have the Windows CDs, but aparently that's all you ned to install the Linux version with the Linux build), and I'll post the results here.

Thanks for the reply, and please post any further thoughts or advice (anyone, please).

korn788

Postby korn788 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56

well let me tell you that YES IT RUNS but as my posts im running it in wine and it playable VEREY playable i had to FTP the game to the xbox HD then run a wine command to run the game but it does run i think if i had it install without using wine it would run better but im not that great at linux just good to a point

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 17:18

You are crazy dude :)

korn788

Postby korn788 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 0:53

but i wonder if i was running it on opengl would it run better

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 18:56

Get the proper CDs and install the game in Linux, transfer the installation to your XBox and give it a try.