Need help to install Unreal Tournament, please

Need help with one of the installers?
Eddie H

Need help to install Unreal Tournament, please

Postby Eddie H » Fri Sep 25, 2009 19:22

Warning, I am a *total* Linux beginner (well versed in Windows and DOS, though), and I want to install Unreal Tournament on my laptop, with a view to eventually hopefully getting Linux + UT to run on my XBox.

Anyway, I am using Ubuntu 9.04, and the laptop is a 2GHz Compaq Evo n610c, with 1MB RAM, and a 32MB ATI Graphics card ( http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 2_div.HTML ), and as a totally clueless beginner with Linux, I managed to navigate my way through the shell (to my laptop's c: drive, as Windows knows it, though according to Ubuntu, it's in the /media/ directory, does Linux not use drive letters?) to the folder with the UT Linux install that I downloaded from this site, but when I run the command

sh unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.goty.run

as advised on the page:

http://liflg.org/?catid=2

I get the message:

Uncompressing Unreal Tournament 436-multilanguage.goty Installer....................................................................................
/home/ubuntu/.setup7135: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and I don't know what that means - do I have to download and install a file(s) before installing UT?

rettichschnidi
liflg member

Postby rettichschnidi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 20:36

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2

This will help you out.

Eddie H

Postby Eddie H » Fri Sep 25, 2009 20:39

rettichschnidi wrote:

This will help you out.

Thanks, I'll try that out later.

I take it I just type it out before I type out:

sh unreal.tournament_436-multilanguage.goty.run

?

I should have mentioned, my latop is offline (my desktop is online), I hoep the "sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2" command doesn't need to download anything from the 'net? If so, can I download it on this PC and put it in the Linux folders?

rettichschnidi
liflg member

Postby rettichschnidi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:01

This will need per default an internet connection.

However, there are way to do it without, but I think this is not so easy for a beginner.

Eddie H

Postby Eddie H » Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:12

rettichschnidi wrote:

This will need per default an internet connection.

However, there are way to do it without, but I think this is not so easy for a beginner.

Damn - I could connect the laptop up to the connection up here, but since the ultimate objective, when I get UT running on the laptop, is to copy it over to the XBox (which is not online at all) then would I need to use:

on the XBox? I cannot do so at all on the XBox.

Can I not download it myself, and somehow fool Linux into thinking it's either been downloaded, or is downloading, from th 'net?

rettichschnidi
liflg member

Postby rettichschnidi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 21:31

You need this package just for the installer, not for the game itself.

Eddie H

Postby Eddie H » Fri Sep 25, 2009 22:30

rettichschnidi wrote:You need this package just for the installer, not for the game itself.

OK, I'll connect the laptop up to the 'net.

Is there anything else I should know about when I install the game?

Thanks.

rettichschnidi
liflg member

Postby rettichschnidi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 22:41

As far as I'm aware of: no

Eddie H

Postby Eddie H » Fri Sep 25, 2009 22:58

rettichschnidi wrote:As far as I'm aware of: no

OK, thanks. Looks like it's going to be tomorrow before I get home now, so I'll try it then, and post the results.

Eddie H

Postby Eddie H » Sun Sep 27, 2009 22:54

Sorry I haven't been able to post before now - I was away from home, but I borrowed a friend's USB dongle (with the company 3) but couldn't get it to conenct via Linux, although it was fine in Windows.

Anyway, I've decided to leave it for the time being, as I'm not confident I'd get it running on the XBox anyway, even if I got it running on the PC, as it turns out that the XBox's 64MB of RAM is shared between the system memory and the GFX memory. Factor that in with my total lack of Linux knowledge, and my hopes aren't high.

Thanks for all of your help, anyway. I'll probably give Linux a serious go sometime in the future, as I hear nothing but good things about it (and I seem to spend half of my life fighting Windows based problems) but for the time being I'll just play UT on my laptop, under XP.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:44

You are welcome.
If you will ever get back to this project let us know about your progress.