avp installer

Installers we are searching testers for.
halogentan

Postby halogentan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:38

Umm, I'm not sure what you mean by post a listing of the cd. I'm assuming you mean a list of the contents on it, so here's that:

ALIEN.REZ AVP2.exe data2.cab layout.bin PREDATOR.REZ Setup.exe
AutoRun.ico data1.cab EULA.txt MARINE.REZ readme.txt Setup.ini
AutoRun.inf data1.hdr ikernel.ex_ MULTI.REZ Setup.bmp setup.inx

It's not the gold version as far as I can tell. Those are the contents of the first cd. I can give you the contents of the second as well if you need me to.

I'm on an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz. It has 512 mb of ram. The video card is and NVIDIA GEFORCE FX.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:17

halogentan this looks like AvP2, there is no Linux port of the second part of AvP, sorry.

Dirk.R.Gently

Postby Dirk.R.Gently » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:04

Hmm, didn't work for me. I tried both the top quality and low quality sounds and this is what I see:

Code: Select all

./avp
./avp: line 123:  6138 Segmentation fault      ./${GAME_BINARY} ${CMD_ARGS} "$@"

Sorry that probably isn't that helpful. I can put up my system details if that's of any use.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 15:16

Hi Dirk,

we can't do much for you.
The binary crashed, maybe there are some information in ~/.avp/logfile.txt

Your only chance is to build your own AvP binary and debug the crash

http://icculus.org/avp/

Good luck and please report back if you found a solution.

EU-CZ_Petr

Postby EU-CZ_Petr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 17:17

Dirk.R.Gently wrote:Hmm, didn't work for me. I tried both the top quality and low quality sounds and this is what I see:

./avp
./avp: line 123:  6138 Segmentation fault      ./${GAME_BINARY} ${CMD_ARGS} "$@"

Sorry that probably isn't that helpful. I can put up my system details if that's of any use.

This happens when you install AvP Gold (installation completes successfully but game won't run :().

Yesterday I tested this beta installer. Works good with AvP, with AvP Gold behaves as described above. Tested only with "High quality sound (non-EAX)" setting. Bugs:

1) Won't install "snd31.ffl" and "snd32.ffl" files. I had to copy them manually.
2) Marine sounds seem OK. Predator sounds have some noise in the background. No sounds for alien at all (or may be some of them?).
3) No movies (intro, outro, ingame,...). But probably "it's a feature, not a bug" :wink:.
4) Multiplayer does not work. I tried connecting with PC version (both normal and gold) without success. Tried hosting on Linux and Windows, didn't work both. Didn't try connecting two Linux games (I don't have two Linux machines).
5) Unable to play in resolutions higher then 1280x1024 (game crashes). 1280x1024 is my desktop resolution, may be it has something to do with it (but monitor is capable of higher resolutions)...
6) Text in the main menu says "Aliens versus Predator Gold version", although normal version is installed (background and probably everything else is from normal version).

Despite the bugs, game is very well playable. Thank you very much for this installer.

Hope final installer for gold version will come out some day (preferably soon :)).

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 18:19

Thanks Dirk for testing.
As stated in the first post in this thread this installer is not for the Gold version :)
I know a solution but it's not trivial and of course it also a matter of time.

mat

Postby mat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:58

kratz00 wrote:Thanks Dirk for testing.
As stated in the first post in this thread this installer is not for the Gold version :)

That is greart news for me.
Because I still waiting on installer for avp gold edition.

samwise

Postby samwise » Sat Feb 02, 2008 22:24

EU-CZ_Petr wrote:Bugs:

1) Won't install "snd31.ffl" and "snd32.ffl" files. I had to copy them manually.
2) Marine sounds seem OK. Predator sounds have some noise in the background. No sounds for alien at all (or may be some of them?).
3) No movies (intro, outro, ingame,...). But probably "it's a feature, not a bug" :wink:.
4) Multiplayer does not work. I tried connecting with PC version (both normal and gold) without success. Tried hosting on Linux and Windows, didn't work both. Didn't try connecting two Linux games (I don't have two Linux machines).
5) Unable to play in resolutions higher then 1280x1024 (game crashes). 1280x1024 is my desktop resolution, may be it has something to do with it (but monitor is capable of higher resolutions)...
6) Text in the main menu says "Aliens versus Predator Gold version", although normal version is installed (background and probably everything else is from normal version).

Despite the bugs, game is very well playable. Thank you very much for this installer.

EU-CZ_Petr, I suspect all the in-game bugs you listed are present in relnev's unofficial AvP port which this installer is based on. Certainly multiplayer and the full-motion sequences were never implemented. Unfortunately, relnev abandoned the project in 2004 so the bugs are unlikely to ever be fixed unless someone else picks up the project. More information on the last status is in the README file distributed with the port:

http://svn.icculus.org/avp/trunk/README ... &view=auto

kratz00 wrote:As stated in the first post in this thread this installer is not for the Gold version :)

I, too, would love to be able to test out an AvP Gold installer as I can't get the code to compile on Debian AMD64 Testing* :(. Is the AvP Gold installer problem related to the fact that certain files are encoded on the first CD? If that's the problem, could an installer be created which requires you to have installed it under Windows and then copied the appropriate files to your Linux distro? I realise that's a bit of a hack and is perhaps not as neat as some of the other installers but it's not too onerous to get to the files that way and it would be much easier than the current situation where the user has to struggle trying to get an environment set up that will correctly compile the binary ...

Sam.

* Even after applying this gentoo patch, I ran into this compile error and haven't a clue how to get past it ...

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libSDL.so when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libSDL.a when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../libSDL.so when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.3/../../../libSDL.a when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libSDL.so when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libSDL.a when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libSDL.so when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libSDL.a when searching for -lSDL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSDL

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:58

Hi samwise,

most of the errors EU-CZ_Petr sees are the result of using the unsupported AvP Gold version.

And yes it's all about the encoded files on the AvP Gold cd.

I have no 64 bit system but what you get is no compile error, it's a linker error, the linker (ld) is looking for libSDL.so.
Is it available in any of the directories, the linker is looking for it?

samwise

Postby samwise » Sun Feb 03, 2008 14:04

kratz00 wrote:most of the errors EU-CZ_Petr sees are the result of using the unsupported AvP Gold version.

If you guys have added multiplayer and support for the full-motion videos to relnev's port, then you're working even harder than I thought. ;)

kratz00 wrote:And yes it's all about the encoded files on the AvP Gold cd.

I thought as much. I hope you'll consider what I proposed - I think most newbies could manage to copy the files from a Windows install to a specific directory, even if it were just a stop-gap release until you cracked the AvP encoding.

kratz00 wrote:I have no 64 bit system but what you get is no compile error, it's a linker error, the linker (ld) is looking for libSDL.so.
Is it available in any of the directories, the linker is looking for it?

I have libsdl and libsdl-dev installed, but as you can see it's skipping the version I have (1.2.13). :( I don't know why it's not happy with them, but if there's something simple like a max version string, I need to increase it or, if it really is incompatible, I'll need to compile it with an older version of sdl. I think the latter is heading me towards dependency hell ... :(

Sam.

samwise

Postby samwise » Sun Feb 03, 2008 17:18

OK, the SDL errors are a 64-bit issue. AvP needs to be built against 32-bit libraries.

I laboriously downloaded i386 versions of all the required libraries from the Debian Lenny package archives and extracted them all to the source directory.

After setting LIBRARY_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to them, the binary finally compiled.

Unfortunately, although the menu systems and sound works, the graphics are totally messed up - although the HUD overlays work, the textures don't seem to being painted in the right place making the whole thing look like a bad kaleidoscope. :(

I haven't got a clue how to start fixing it ...

Here's a hoping a 32-bit installer arrives that will work if I just prefix it with "linux32" ... ;)

Sam.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 22:10

samwise wrote:
kratz00 wrote:most of the errors EU-CZ_Petr sees are the result of using the unsupported AvP Gold version.

If you guys have added multiplayer and support for the full-motion videos to relnev's port, then you're working even harder than I thought. ;)

I said most :)
Our solution will not need any Windows installation, simply start the installer and let things happen but as always it's done when it's done :)

Stay tuned.

samwise

Postby samwise » Mon Feb 04, 2008 22:50

OK,

I haven't a clue how to debug my own binary so I guess I'll sit on my hands and monitor this thread.

I'll be ready to test ... it actually looks like quite a cool game and am quite eager to get stuck in it.

Thanks,

Sam.

mat

Postby mat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 23:42

http://git.icculus.org/?p=relnev/avp.git

Can you make new version installer for avp?

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31

We can :)
We are right now in the process, switching from loki_setup to mojosetup.
So this could take a little while. I had a short look at the git look, did I miss any major f eature which was added since our binary was build?