Serious Sam 2 installer

Installers we are searching testers for.
umarzuki

Postby umarzuki » Sat Jan 19, 2008 17:04

kratz00 wrote:umarzuki what installer did you test, would be good to know :)
Thanks for reporting.

serious.sam2_2.070beta2.1-multilanguage.dvd.run

thanks for making it.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 17:43

Thanks for the information and you are welcome :)

wusch

Postby wusch » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:54

Hello again!

I remember having trouble with dualcore issues under W2K with this game in the first place, and even under XP it wasn't just running and needed some drivers to be installed first...

Is there any such thing for Linux/Ubuntu, perhaps? Do you know by chance?
Umm... I think I DO remember about an AMD dualcore driver or some such thing... got to check again!

But I'm pretty much conviced that the ATI card is the main culprit in this problem here (among bad game design mayhaps)...

perixx

fizzix

Well I'll be ... SS2 installer just works

Postby fizzix » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:38

OK, well it didn't _exactly_ just work, but pretty darn close.

The install went off without a hitch with the 4CD installer even though I didn't sudo the installer. Hey, I don't sudo just any old script I find!

After the install, I kept getting an error

Code: Select all

./Bin/Linux-Dynamic-Release/Sam2: error while loading shared libraries: Bin/Linux-Dynamic-Release/ScriptLua.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Oh, no.

I'm still using FC6 and since the error kind of looked like a SELinux issue (which I'm not an expert), I figured I was doomed. A little googling gave a reference to the cannot restore error that led me to the
System->Administration->Security Level and Firewall

In the SELinux tab, expand Memory Protection and check "Allow all unconfined executables to use libraries requiring text relocation that are not labeled textrel_shlib_t." Clicked OK and the new policy was in effect.

Then running serioussam2 worked like a champ. I don't know if that option would be set by the installer had I sudo'ed it, but so be it.

Anyway, thanks for the installer. I actually got SS2 a couple of years ago following an announcement that a linux client would be out "soon." Two years later I can finally play.

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 22:00

@wusch

There is nothing I'm aware of, sorry.

@fizzix

No, this is not done by the installer either if you would run it as root user (or sudo). Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the game.

wusch

Postby wusch » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:55

Hello kratz00!

I installed and tried a Nvidia 6800XT with the game and it wouldn't run even then (it's crashing, when the actual game-level is loaded and should begin, after the first two intro-scenes).

Since that is a completely different card and driver, the problem might be originating of my AMD-dualcore in the system. Or rather, SS2 not liking these processors. I even couldn't get it running under W2k and even under XP only with difficulties, as I said.

A last possibility that comes to my mind is the different DVD layout, since most people successfully installing SS2 seem to have the 4-CD-version...

wusch

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 18:22

The dvd layout has nothing to do with this as the installer got changed for this but if you like you can post the output of "ls -lR" of the installation directory and I will check this.

wusch

Postby wusch » Sat Jan 26, 2008 13:28

I tried your command - it will give so much output that the terminal history cuts off a good part of it - do you still want to see the rest?

Tried to run Xubuntu with 'nosmp' option to turn off one core, but that would only result in errors and freezing the PC.

wusch

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 20:54

"ls -lR > output.txt" and send that file to me then :)

wusch

Postby wusch » Tue Jan 29, 2008 14:36

Sorry, I can't upload the file anywhere around here, and I don't have any webspace availible...

perixx

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 17:54

compress the file and send as email :)

Statik

Postby Statik » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:31

Well, I'd love to try the installer, but the links all seem to be dead. I have the reatil box 4 cd version.

Statik

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 18:56

The links are fine but you are not the first who complains.
Try a web based proxy page if you can't manage to download the files you need.

Statik

Postby Statik » Thu Feb 14, 2008 23:47

Web based proxy page?

I get time-outs from all the links, and the parent page.

How do I get the file?

Statik

kratz00
liflg member

Postby kratz00 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 21:30